Buddha bowls—light, healthy meals comprised of a whole grain, lots of vegetables, a healthful protein source, and a flavorful sauce—are all the rage. This bowl combines the star nutrition power of whole-grain sorghum and beans with cool green veggies, such as arugula, avocados, cucumbers, asparagus, and pumpkin seeds. Plus, it’s topped with a house-made, plant-based Green Goddess Dressing that is as tasty as it is pretty –or you can save some time and energy and purchase a commercial Goddess dressing from your grocery store.
- 2 cups cooked whole grain sorghum, cooled
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can white beans (i.e., Great Northern, cannellini)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed, sliced
- 4 cups packed baby arugula leaves
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. plain, unsweetened plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, coconut)
- 1/4 ripe large avocado, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber, with peel
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (i.e., dill, parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, cilantro)
- 1 stalk green onion, white and green parts, diced
- 1 small garlic clove (optional)
- Pinch white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Makes 4 meals.
Per serving: 393 calories, 9 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 69 g carbohydrate, 18 g protein, 18 g fiber, 20 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Cook whole grain sorghum to make 2 cups, according to package directions, and cool, draining any remaining liquid.
- Assemble dressing by placing all of the dressing ingredients into the container of a small blender and process until smooth.
- Rinse and drain white beans and set aside.
- Blanch asparagus by cooking it in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until tender, but bright green; set aside.
- Arrange 1 cup arugula leaves at the bottom of each large, individual serving bowl (4).
- Arrange over the arugula leaves in each bowl (4):
- 1/4 of the white beans (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup cooked, cooled sorghum
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- 1/4 of the cucumber slices (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 of the blanched, cooled asparagus
- A dollop (about 2 tablespoons) of Green Goddess Dressing (see below)
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Serve immediately.