- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 12 ounces crushed tomatoes (preferably Italian)
- 3 to 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilies
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground black pepper and sea salt
- Shaved Romano or Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until onion softens, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add Roma tomatoes, and reduce heat, continuing to cook 4 to 5 minutes until tomatoes soften, stirring occasionally.
- To the diced tomato mixture, add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, basil, crushed red chilies and sugar. Simmer for an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool to room temperature, then use a blender to combine all ingredients until smooth, adding salt and pepper to taste. Reheat to boiling before serving, topping with cheese. Serves 4-6