- ½ pound daikon, peeled
- ½ pound carrot, peeled
- ½ red onion, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 TBSP Asian fish sauce
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 Pinch white pepper
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 (24-inch) soft baguette ( or 4 each demi Baguette or French Roll)
- cilantro sprigs on stem
- 4 chicken breasts that have been pounded lightly and seasoned with Salt and pepper
- OR 1 loaf of tofu drained and pat dry.
- 4 green leaf Lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 oz Mae Ploy Thai chili sauce
- 2 ea lime wedges
- In a medium bowl mix together oil, fish sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce for marinade. Set 1/3 aside. Place chicken OR Tofu in the remaining marinade
- Shred Daikon and carrot in a food processor fitted with medium shredding disk or on a mandoline
- Stir together vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss with shredded vegetables. Let slaw stand, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- While slaw marinates Grill Chicken breasts until internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached. Set aside.
- TOFU NOTE: If using tofu you can grill it but you will get a great result l if you bake it in a 400 degree oven on a lightly oiled pyrex baking dish for 30 minutes. This step can be done ahead. Slice tofu into ¼ inch slices.
- Drain slaw in a colander. Cut off and discard round ends, then split baguette pieces in half.
- Brush the reserved marinade on the bottom layer of the bread .
- Put lettuce & red onion slices on the bottom layer, arrange chicken, slaw and arrange cilantro springs on top. Spread top layer of bread with mayonnaise and top sandwich with it.
- Garnish with a dish of the Thai Chili Sauce and the lime wedges